Campaign “Sleep for Peace” was initiated by HI USA with a goal this year to commemorate the International Day of Peace in a different way, reflecting on the personality of each individual hostel. HI USA as well as other HI hostels coordinated by CIDAJAL (Hostels of South America), hosted a variety of activities in commemoration of the UN International Day of Peace.
EUFED encouraged all national associations in Europe to join the campaign and promote a more tolerant world through hostelling.
The following countries got involved in the campaign and did the following:
- Printed posters and spread them through youth hostels.
- Wrote articles about the project and the values and posted them on social media and also in internal newsletter.
- Encouraged hostel staff to invite guests to take a picture making the peace sign in front of emblematic element of peace, or “Sleep for Peace”, in hostel and posted to social media sites.
- Encourage hostel staff to post the hash tag #SleepForPeace in various places throughout the hostel and across their own social media channels to increase awareness.
- Provided posters to hostel staff to hang in hostels and shared on their own social media.
Northern Ireland (HINI)
- Set a bed up in Belfast hostel lobby on the day and got their guests (and staff) to pose on the bed making peace signs for social media usage.
Latvia (Hostelling Latvia)
- Distribute the information among youth hostels.
Slovenia (HI Slovenia)
- Hostel Tresor took their guests on a culinary journey through traditional Slovenian dishes. After that breakfast area turned into a board game room. A mixed crowd of locals, travellers and hostel staff challenged at the table.
- In Hostel Proteus a meditation for everyone took place.
Italy (AIG Hostels)
- Promoted a “national contest” among their hostels to see which youth hostel will collect the largest number of photos or video of guests near the posters with their names/Country origin to be.
- Posted to social media with the hashtags #sleepforpeace and #AIG<name of the hostel>.
- Displayed posters about the Day of Peace to promote this in the facilities of hostels, websites, social networks.
- Explained to the staff what is the Day of Peace and the goals and mission of the program Sleep for Peace.
- Encouraged actions to achieve participation in the social media, using the same #SleepForPeace.
- Who’s been sleeping in my sheets?!: Hostellers was encouraged to leave handprints on a savanna and imprint their nationality.
- “Eat” for Peace: encouraged staff to organize a special lunch for the Peace.
- Distributed information to youth hostels.
Estonia (HI Estonia)
- Spread the information among their youth hostels.
Hungary (Magyarországi Ifjúsági Szállások Szövetsége)
- Distributed the initiative to the hostels.
- The Aventura Boutique Hostel took part in the promotion: did the signing on sheets and paper.
- Promoted the Sleep for Peace Campaign through its social media and website channels as well as throughout hosteling network in Scotland.