The aim of a survey was to analyse the situation in Europe as regards any kind of public support given to national youth hostel associations in Europe.
All national youth hostel associations in Europe (35 in overall).
29 national youth hostel associations in Europe responded to the survey (83 % responding rate).
- 48 % of national associations receive any kind of public support while 52 % do not receive anything.
- The following 14 countries receive public support:
- Belgium (LAJ)
- Belgium (VJH)
- Croatia (CYHA)
- Finland (HI Finland)
- France (FUAJ)
- Germany (DJH)
- Hungary (Magyarországi Ifjúsági Szállások Szövetse)
- Ireland (An Oige)
- Israel (I.Y.H.A)
- Italy (AIG Hostels)
- Luxembourg (Centrale des Auberges de Jeunesse Luxembourgeoises)
- Northern Ireland (HINI)
- Slovenia (HI Slovenia)
- Spain (REAJ)
- 79 % of national associations receive a public support from local/regional government, 64 % - national government and 21 % - from other channels.
- 93 % of public support is financial support, followed by 50 % of support in nature (national association receives a building for a youth hostel), 7 % of support in nature (national association receives a land to build a youth hostel) and other kind of support accounts for 14 %.
In order to see the full report, please contact the Operating Director.